So I recently stumbled upon this wonderful recipe for potato salad...one of my summer faves, and well.....it's heaven on earth...Mmmmmmm.
I wanted to share it with you all since my husband and I are gaga over it. Oh and as a side note: it's 10 times better if you eat it the day after you make it.
And here's the recipe: (NOTE) adding some of your own tweeks make it that much better!
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped or chives (I omitted both)
- 1 cup celery, chopped small
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, diced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard ( I used honey dijon)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Place the potatoes into a large pot, and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 20 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Drain. Cool, peel and dice. Transfer to a large bowl, and toss with the onion, celery, 1 teaspoon of salt, and hard-cooked eggs.
- While the potatoes are cooking, whisk together 2 eggs, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan. Stir in the vinegar, milk, and mustard. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in the butter. Refrigerate until cool, then stir in the mayonnaise.
- Stir the dressing into the bowl of potato salad gently until evenly coated. Chill several hours or overnight before serving for best flavor.
I also added 4 slices cooked chopped bacon when tossing potatoes with celery and onions and of course sprinkled it with paprika.